Friday, December 11, 2015

Waiting for the Cold War to go Hot

I had been quite excited about the Team Yankee releases when they were first announced and then as time went on (and my enthusiasm for painting seemed to wane) my interest began to fade. There was quite a buzz about it at the club on the Saga tournament day so my interest began to rise again and when I was in Fandom this week and Randy asked me if I was interested in it, I ended up getting the book and a starter set for each side.

In preparation, I decided I should finish of the US self-propelled guns that I started earlier in the year (they were the first models I painted with my airbrush). I am not sure that I will get much use out them initially since I think both Stan and Mike are going to be painting US forces (but then again I am likely to be getting some "Lend-Lease" from the Kingston Red Banner Army so I will have a bit of leg up on my Soviets as well).

I am kind of annoyed with the way Battlefront has been handling their production troubles. I think I would have been happier if they had kept the original mix of the starter box and delayed them further rather than just releasing them with all tanks (this probably would have cost them some money so maybe they feel that they are not taking a big enough hit on the good will side to care). In any case, I hope they will be in Fandom this weekend so I can grumble as I glue together all my tanks!


5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this as well, and no worries...I have the Sov box coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like we will have a pretty good balance between the sides at the club.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to this as well, I guess it is a 2016 thing for me. But I don't imagine it will take that long to paint half a dozen tanks and a couple of choppers, maybe I will just do it! Hopefully the rules for helicopters and plans are fun, as that is really the big new thing. Hopefully we will see some new battlefield in a box sets with more modern stuff as well to match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seem to be a lot of little changes to the FOW rules but everything I have seen suggests that they were making them all to make the game more fun. I have reasonably high hopes!

      I do hope that I can force myself to paint at least one infantry unit for each side -- and from what I have seen from the cards on line, it looks like infantry will be pretty good at holding positions with both short range AT stuff and ATGMs.

      There was some mention of modern battlefield in a box sets but I can't find anything now. I am hoping to find a 1/100 model of an SU-25 -- the 1/144 don't seem to have enough "heft" for me!

      Delete