Monday, May 18, 2015

Cangames Recap and the Big Brush

Cangames was this past weekend and I am posting my summary of how it went for me this year (as well as some pictures of Eds "Big Brush" 15mm tank technique). I will post more detailed AARs of all my games (as well as the most recent club game) in the next week or so.

This was the first year in quite a while that I managed to make it for the Friday. I played in Mike's Rus game and it was quite a lot of fun. The modified Lord of The Rings system makes for a good skirmish game without being to complicated. There wasn't too much else going on on Friday afternoon.

On Saturday I ran my Hail Caesar "Stop the Romans" game and it went very well. The game came down to wire with the Romans finally emerging victorious. In the afternoon I played in Ed's Louisburg game and it also was a lot of fun and came down to the wire (and was very good looking).

Sunday I ran Force on Force "Elements of Destruction". That was its usual blend of chaos and mayhem.

Overall I had a good time and it was nice to play some games, I think for the last 2 I have only run games and not played in them. The selection of games was good (but seemed to be really concentrated on Saturday) and they all looked good. There didn't seem to be much Fantasy and Sci-Fi this year.

The dealers area was not really all that exciting for me. I was looking to satisfy my completist bent for Descent but no one had anything for that and my painting queue is full up so I wasn't really looking to get any minis. The guys selling the laser cut stuff looked interesting (though I have forgotten their name!)

-----------------------------------

On Friday evening after the con, Ed demonstrated his "Big Brush" tank painting technique. This is basically taking a really big brush and painting and highlighting a base colour and then inking or washing. The results are very good for the effort involved.
 It only took a few minutes to get these 14 tanks to this level. The German tanks were painted the yellow-tan and then inked with yellow and the Sherman Crabs were painted brown and then inked green.

I used this technique for my Fate of a Nation tanks and was pleased with the results but it is hard (for me at least) to get the colour correct.

With some detail work these will be ready for the table in no time.


---------
Update: Here are the brushes that were used for this:



4 comments:

  1. The big brush technique does seem to work quite well, and can't argue with the speed. But don't tell Ed I said that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to see the finished product...for a few minutes work...can't really argue with the technique. You almost need to have a picture of the roller brush...hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tanks will likely be finished by me (with a smaller brush!). I was going to take a picture of the brush as well but I don't remember which one he used

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have updated the post with pictures of the brushes in question!

    ReplyDelete