Saturday, October 13, 2018

Sarrisa Motel Part 2 and a Little bit of Saga

Carrying on from the earlier parts of the hotel construction (the construction and painting ), this week I received the replacement parts for the acrylic stair pieces I broke. (I also got a swimming pool and playground set that I will use for some ground decoration around the motel).

Here are the pieces with the spray paint finished and a first coat on the exterior doors and all the concrete painted with one coat.
I think the next steps are to paint the window and door frames as well as the vents on the side and add some rust weathering to those and then was with a grime wash and see how it looks at that point. I painted a dark blue on the roof to break up the black and I will do a grey dry brush and might put some flock on the roof to show the level of dis-repair

I don't really have a sense of what I want to do with the office -- I will do the doors and window frames in steel with some rust and maybe that will be enough?

The stairs in MDF went together much better than with the acrylic sides.

It turned out that the acrylic railings had the same problem as the stairs -- they were too thick and wouldn't fit in the slots. Fortunately the mdf frame that Sarisa sent had the railings in MDF and they fit fine



-------------------
Also this weekend Mike and I played a game of Saga. He has posted a more detailed battle report but I thought I would give my thoughts here and also some thoughts on where I am going with Saga (which with the Walking Dead is the game I am  most active with at the moment).

While on holiday in Cape Breton this summer I painted up some plastic Vikings that I have had for a while and then decided that this should be a Norse Gael army so I ordered a unit of Hearthguard and one of Warriors armed with Dane Axes. I also got a Warlord with a Dane Axe and Gripping Beast were good enough to add in a figure of Brodir of Man, Who Steel Cannot Bite, Sorcerer and King-Slayer.

A month or so ago Mike and I played a game where I played with a regular warlord and Mike posted a battle report. I felt the Pagan Rus had some abilities that did have a strong impact on the Norse Gael board but I really enjoyed the army. I think it may have been the first time I played with an army with no mounted units!

I decided to play then again this time with Brodir of Man. I had to proxy a bit since he is only allowed to take units of Black Crew (hearthguard with 2-handed axes) and I don't have 5 units of Dane Axe armed vikings!  The game went well (even though I lost!), i might have been a bit too aggressive and Brodir was bitten by steel and was not a particularly good sorcerer and didn't kill any kings. I am now tempted to get and paint up some Black Crew but I think I will hold back on that until I get some other stuff painted.

In the near term, I want to finish painting my Spanish and Franks. The spanish only need 2 units of warriors to be finished (and they are about half done) along with the Warlord. The Franks need a bit more -- my goal is to field Roland so I need 4 points of foot and 4 points of mounted and I think I have one of each painted (Roland is painted though, as is a mounted Warlord)

Mike wants to do some Roman Saga -- I am still not sure about using my Early Imperial Romans but I will give it a go at some point.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good Duncan! Your Walking Dead characters now have a lot to fight over. Gotta be some good supplies tucked away in that office somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think the fact that all the doors will end up facing a central location will make for an interesting dynamic

      Delete
  2. Looks good, chipping away at these big buildings!

    Also looking forward to Roman civil war. It seems fun to me so I am not worried if people have the wrong armor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have actually dug up the Aetius & Arthur boook to look at the Romans, I have realized that what I really want is a Hun warband.

      Warlord has a buy 2 get one free sale on their plastics so costwise it wouldn't be bad to do "proper:" Romans but in terms of time I guess the Early Imperial guys might do for now.

      Delete