Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Saracen foot Warriors

Here is the first of my Saracens, a unit of foot warriors. I am reasonably pleased with how they turned out, I still need to practice 28mm faces (I painted over my attempt at eyes on these guys as they looked far too zombieish)

The decals on their shields went on really easily but then the ones for the cavalry were a huge pain, I just couldn't get the plastic coating off them. I managed to get one on and ruin 3 others. I am not sure if I should just paint the shields or order some more transfers.

As well as using these for Saga, I am planning to build up a Hail Caesar army that will manage for most Arab forces from the conquest into the crusades. Once I finish off the Saracens (who are mostly finished, I want to do some work on the hair of the guys without helmets -- and decide what to do about the shields), this project will take a back seat to my WWII 28mm stuff and the Romans I need for Cangames (and a few 15mm items I want to get done for the FOW Lorraine campaign at the club). I hope by the end of the year to have painted the 3 Islamic factions from Crescent and Cross (I have the Mutatawwi`a assembled as I had hoped to paint them over Christmas but got sick instead) and 1 box of Gripping Beast plastic and that should give a good base for the Hail Caesar army.


3 comments:

  1. Looks good, the bright colors of the Saracens really make them different from most of the other forces in this period which I think makes them pretty cool. Looking forward to killing these guys hah.

    I have problems with the LBMS decals sometimes also, I assume these are the same. The trouble with peeling the plastic seems to be worse if you leave them for a long time. I can usually get it but it helps to have more then you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are the LBMS transfers. I have used them for all my Romans and never had any trouble (once I realized the background colour should always be white!).

    It is always good to paint colours. The Moors are going to have a lot of black and white clothing which is always challenging

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the shields I had left (and the banner) I decided to peel the plastic off before cutting out the decals and that worked much better -- I had still managed to ruin 5 of the 8 cavalry shields. I guess they will be fighting with white shields signifying the purity of their faith tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete