Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Firestorm Lorraine: Getting Ready

Starting in April the Ottawa Miniatures Gamers are running the Firestorm: Lorraine campaign for Flames of War. I am playing on the Germans side since the minutiae of late war Shermans in FOW is too much for me to handle.

I have been buying a few things for this campaign and here is my to be assembled/painted pile:

I had considered painting up some German infantry with assault rifles but I am really not in the mood to paint 15mm infantry (and if I was I have my Egyptian and Israelis in line first). I also thought I had got some FLaK halftracks but maybe they got back ordered (I did find my missing M2 Bradleys while looking for them so that is good).

I want to play with the Pz IV/70s so I will probably start with those (and the Pz IVs since they are all assembled). The halftracks would be good since the Pz IV/70s are in the FFH Panzergrenadier company but to be honest, I probably have enough halftracks already. I also want to run a list with a lot of Panthers so they will probably be up next.

Getting through the whole pile before the campaign ends should be an attainable goal even if my main focus during the time is on my 28mm  projects (Romans for Cangames and WWII stuff)

5 comments:

  1. Hey Duncan, nice start to the campaign...I'm probably looking at Pz IVs as well...or I'll see where Stugs fit in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was at least 1 list with Stugs in the Blood Guts and Glory book. (I have some of those assembled but unpainted but I left them out of my painting plan to avoid being over-ambitious)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Blood Guts and Glory the Panzer Kompanie can have 2 platoons of 3 Stugs as support, but there isn't a list that has them as core options. Serge has limited it to Atlantik Wall and that book so that only option I think that has them is Asault Gun Battery in Atlantik Wall, which has weak support.

    The Panther Panzer Brigades might be the way to go, you can get 8 of them and you choice of either AA or Infantry in support, and then try to pick up a third platoon from Firestorm troops.

    I think I will end up transferring over to the US side since it seems I am the only one that has any fancy Shermans. So Might want to try and find a way to kill a few Jumbos also (same armor as a Patton!).

    Thanks;
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. The panther gun is probably good enough for the job -- I am not sure we can do better in the lists in Blood Guts and Glory, maybe an AA 88? When I get the new panthers done I will have either 9 or 10 so I should be good to go -- I am not sure how many I can afford at 1200 pints

    I probably have at least 1 or 2 of most types of Sherman in my collection but I really didn't want to sort through them all

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I would need to get a few Easy Eights, and a few Jumbos. I don't think is a plastic set that covers that thou.

    ReplyDelete