Sunday, March 15, 2015

Review of Nachtjaeger and the Battlfoam 1520XL

This weekend I picked up the newish Nachtjaeger book for Flames of War and my new Battlefoam bag arrived on Friday so I thought I would give my impressions of both.
I didn't really think I would be super-excited about this book, I was afraid it was going to be all Nazi uber-tech and not much else. There is a little bit of that but the lists in it are actually pretty good and the rules for the night vision stuff aren't terrible (though I have to say I have no desire to actually play with those rules)

The British get 3 lists, 2 Tank and 1 Infantry. The first list (11th Armoured Division) is for a Tank Company equipped with Comets. The Comet is a pretty good tank (both in the game and in real life) but it only saw combat in the last few months of the war so I can't imagine many people will really want to rush out and buy and paint a dozen of them -- I know I don't.

The second is for the armoured recce regiment of the 11th Armoured (15th/17th Hussars) which didn't get the Comets but does re-arrange its Cromwells so the Challengers are all in their own platoon. This is a list I would play given a chance.
A platoon with the 3 or 4 17 pdrs with ROF 3 is going to make even the heaviest of German tanks stop and think (and you can take 2 platoons if you happen to have 6 or 8 Challengers -- I just have the 3 pictured).

The third list is for infantry which has all the cool stuff the British get in late war like APCs and Crocodiles but on my quick read through there was nothing new and exciting.

The Germans also get 3 listts. The first 2 are for Panzerdivision Clausewitz which have a mix of Pz IVJs and and Pantthers (as well as STuGs, PZIV/70s and Jagdpanthers). They are rated Reluctant Veteran so they should be quite interesting to play -- and makes them cheap enough that you can have a variety of late war German armour in your list.

The last is a Marine-Grenadierkompanie which is also interesting. They are rated Fearless Trained (the fearless part seems a bit of a stretch) and can have a variety of support units. The infantry stands all have assault rifles and panzerfausts so they are quite powerful -- though they are really only better than normal Germans rated as MG teams when they are attacking and that probably isn't happening much in 1945. The really interesting part of this unit is they can take heavy-AA on railroad cars, I think they are likely to be borderline useless but they will be cool figures and I will definitely pick up some when they come out (if they come out, I don't see them mentioned on the FOW web page)

Some of the German units have the option to take IR night fighting gear which may be good but I probably won't make any effort to figure out the rules for it until I actually face someone who takes them.

Overall this book is an average FOW supplement. The lists are somewhat interesting even if the campaign they fought in isn't particularly interesting to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About a year ago I decided that I should get some Battlefoam trays to carry my Hail Caesar figures. I managed to fit the Romans and British into two plastic tubs but it wasn't ideal and they did get banged about a bit.

I decided on 3 tray configurations with the units already arranged on their movement tray. One for Cavalry:
One for Infantry:
And one for smaller units and command
Because of the height of the standards in most of the units, I went for the deepest trays available. When I got those back I decided that they worked reasonably well and that I should order some more and another bag. I had originally thought to get another bag like I had now but the thickness of the foam doesn't divide nicely into that bag and it seemed it would be better to have just one bag so I ordered the bigger 1520 XL.
This bag is certainly big -- it has suitcase wheels and a handle as well. The big drawback is that it opens on the side which means that you have to slide the trays out which requires a bit so space if you are going to do it carefully -- of course if this bag is needed it is likely to be a big game so there should be some space.

I was a bit disappointed that Battlefoam had changed the colour of their bags so they are all black now. The olive colour of the old ones wasn't all that wonderful either but I am not really a huge fan of back. Overall I am quite pleased with this purchase, it means that I can run a Hail Caesar game at Cangames or at the club and not have to worry about transportation and that I can store my figs in it at home at least until I get the basement sorted out (or paint up more Romans -- which to be honest, is likely to happen before the basement gets tidied).

----------------------------------

I did manage to assemble my PzIV/70s so I will start in on them this week along with the PzIV Js and some Romans.







6 comments:

  1. The Infra-Red stuff just gives you 2 rolls on the visibility table and lets you make a night attack and get spearhead. I don't think it's a huge deal, but I thought it was pretty cool. Similar to that British Rule that rarely gets used I guess.

    Man that is a huge bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the night rules are not all that complicated -- though I am not sure why the IR spotlight stays concealed from troops with IR equipment, it seems like it would be a pretty obvious target.

      The bag is big -- but it has a zipper on the top so you can attach another smaller bag to make an even bigger one! It turns out that my other bag has the matching zipper on the bottom, I would try it out but that would mean finding somewhere to put all the minis that are currently in that bag.

      Delete
  2. nice bag...did you have to order from US or did you find a Canadian supplier? I'd be willing to try the rules with some list mods, but definitely won't be going out to buy a bunch of Comets...probably just try to make due with what I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are a couple of people in Canada who carry the Battlefoam bags but because I wanted custom cut foam, I figured it would be less hassle to order it directly.

      There is not a lot of difference between a Comet and a Cromwell -- I could probably convince myself to get some if was going to do Korea (or even 1950s Cold War) but not other wise

      Delete
    2. I'm sure some day we will be doing a race to Berlin campaign or something and the PSC Comet set will be out and you guys will have a different tune hah. Seems like a solid tank to me, very similar to the fancy 76mm Shermans.

      Delete
  3. The Battlefront Plastic Comets actually look like a really good kit http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4727 but I think I will be able to resist buying them for a while at least!

    ReplyDelete